Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

The following FAQ has been created to try to answer some of the questions that prospective international students commonly have.

(2022, December. updated)

Student Exchange Programs

1 Application

What is “Exchange Program” (ISEPTUFS)?

ISEPTUFS is designed for international exchange students coming to TUFS under Student Exchange Agreements as agreed upon by their home universities Hence only students who belong to the partner universities to TUFS can apply for this program. Please refer to following URL which provides a list of the partner universities.

Can I apply to the TUFS Student Exchange Programs if my university has not concluded a Student Exchange Agreement with TUFS?

No, you cannot enter either of our Student Exchange Programs if your home university has not concluded a Student Exchange Agreement with TUFS. Also, we cannot consider proposals for Student Exchange Agreements from students, but only from the Student Exchange or International Students Office at foreign universities.

How can I apply for ISEPTUFS?

We announce information regarding the exchange program to staff of the partner universities. Therefore please ask your university for details.

Can I apply for a different field of study than my department / major at my home university?

If you are from a partner university, you can apply to the program even if the fields covered in it are different than those of your home department or major field of study.

Is there any language proficiency requirement?

Please refer to our Fact Sheet:

My language score is lower than the requirement. What should I do?

Please ask your English teacher to write a recommendation letter which proves your English skill is equivalent to our language requirement.

Is there any GPA requirement?


Can I extend the exchange period after I come to Japan?

You cannot extend the period of their study in principle after you arrive at Japan. If you would like to extend the exchange period after you arrive at Japan, please ask your HOME university to send an e-mail with the accountable reason of your extension to Student Exchange Division at TUFS. However, even if we receive an e-mail as such, we do not always allow the extension. Also, you cannot extend the period of stay on our campus in principle.

2 Classes

I would like to know about TUFS academic calendar.

We use 4 quarter system (spring quater: from April to middle of July, summer quarter (intensive classes only) : from middle of July to end of September, fall quater: October to end of January, winter quarter (intensive classes only) : end of January to end of March).
Please note that it is not necessary to take classes during the summer and winter quater.
For details, please refer to our Fact Sheet.

When is the registration period?

International students register their classes around mid-April or early-October. We have an orientation and give an explanation on the classes and registration procedures.

Can Japanese language beginner take Japanese classes (Japanese Language Program)?

Yes. There are 7 classes (from beginner level to advanced level) therefore students who have not studied Japanese yet can take the classes.
For details, please refer to following URL:

How will my Japanese class level be decided?

You will be required to take a Japanese Language Online Placement Test (conducted in Japanese) in March (for spring entry) or September (for fall entry). Your Japanese class level will be decided based on the results of this test. If you do not take the test, you will not be able to take a Japanese class. If you would like to take a class that is not of the level where you are placed, you must consult with the instructor of the class you wish to take and get a permission.

What classes can I take?

You can take almost all classes (there are some exceptions). Please refer to the syllabus:

Please note that undergraduate level students are not allowed to take classes for postgraduate students. Moreover, exchange students cannot take the classes for Peace and Conflict courses in Master’s program and all the classes for Doctoral program.

For other restrictions of the class registration, please refer to the following URL:

Are there any classes held in English?

Yes. Please refer to the following URL:

Is it obligatory to take Japanese classes?

No. It is not essential for exchange students to take Japanese classes.

How many credits should I complete?

There is no restriction on number of credits which the exchange students must complete. You, however, need to take at least 7 classes (10 hours) for visa requirements.

How many credits can I gain?

Up to 50 credits per academic year.

When will my transcript be issued?

Transcripts for the spring quarter will be issued in the middle of August, and those for the fall quarter will be issued in the middle of March. Exchange students who have returned back to their countries before the transcript is issued will receive the document at their home universities.

Is a “Course Completion Certificate” issued?

We do not issue a “Course Completion Certificate.” We do not issue a “Course Registration Certificate” either. You can substitute an “Academic Transcript” for them.

Are all credits that I complete at TUFS as an ISEPTUFS transferable back to my home university?

Under our Academic Exchange Agreements, TUFS and its Partner Universities have agreed to honor credit transfers for credited completed courses at partnering universities. However, final decisions on specific issues related to credit transfers, such as the amount of academic level credits transferred is at the discretion of the home university.

Am I allowed to go back to my country temporarily during the program?

Yes. Before you leave Japan, please come to the Student Exchange Division to submit documents regarding this. Also, you need to apply for special re-entry permission at the airport.
Please refer to the following URL:

3 Scholarship

Are there any scholarships that exchange students can apply for?

Yes. Please refer to the URL below:

Other Programs

How can I get additional information regarding scholarship of the Japanese Government?

For Japanese Government sponsored programs, you should inquire at the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in your home country or on its website.

Does TUFS offer any programs for international students to solely study the Japanese language? Can I enroll at the Japanese Language Center without going through a Student Exchange or Other Non-Degree Program at TUFS?

There are no programs, similar to Preparatory Japanese Language Programs offered at other universities or private language schools, for studying the Japanese language at TUFS. If you would like more information on studying Japanese in Japan, please refer to the following websites

Student Life and the TUFS International Residences

What kind of building is the TUFS International Residences?

A Please check the below URL. You can check the brochures.
○Building No.1 and 2
○Building No.3

What are the monthly living costs?

Current average monthly living costs totals about \100,000 for students living in the TUFS International Residences. This breaks down as follows (estimates) -

Rent and Common Area Fees
(for single room)
Dormitory No.1: \32,000
Dormitory No.2: \31,000
Dormitory No.3: \46,000 (+Key money \30,000)
Electricity Fees \5,000~\10,000
Water Fees \2,000
Mobile Phone Fees \5,000
Health Insurance \1,000
Food \35,000
Books / Other School Supplies \5,000
Other Miscellaneous Expenses \8,000

Students who live in private apartments should expect to pay an additional \50,000-\80,000 per month for rent, and other moving-in costs (key money, deposit, etc.) and furnishing costs amounting to \200,000-\400,000. Student residing out of walking or bicycling range of the TUFS Campus also have to cover monthly commuting fees.

Should I prepare a bedding set by myself?

No. All residents are mandatory to buy a Bedding Set which is provided by TUFS(\12,000) after they arrive at the dorimitory.

May I smoke in dormitory rooms?

No. Please smoke only in smoking areas or rent a flat which allows smoking.

Can I benefit from student discounts as a non-degree student (e.g. exchange student, Japanese Studies Student and Research Student)?

No. We do not issue a certificate of student discount. Therefore you cannot benefit from it.

Will I need to open a bank account in Japan?

You will need to open a bank account to your rent for your room in the TUFS International Residences, as well as for receiving scholarship payments or any income from part-time jobs. Also, we have an orientation for opening a bank account after you arrive at Japan.

Can I join clubs?

Yes. However, please note that you need to confirm if they accept your request.

Do you provide homestay services?

No. We do not offer any homestay services.

Are students guaranteed a room in the on-campus dormitory? What are the application procedures?

We try to offer all Exchange Students a room in one of our on-campus TUFS International Residences. However, in the rare case when there are no open rooms to accommodate a student, we will arrange a room in another international students’ dormitory in the Tokyo area.
You will receive the dorm application as you proceed with your application for exchange program.

When can I start living in the on-campus dormitory?

You can come to the dormitory two days before Orientation for international students. If you come to Japan earlier than this, you need to find an accommodation by yourself. (This is subject to change due to the COVID-19. Please check the emails from the Student Exchange Division.)

How can I get to the dormitory from airport?

When your arrival date is approaching, we will send you an access map from the airport (Narita or Haneda) to TUFS by email. Please come to TUFS by public transportation referring to the map. There are no pick-up services nor university staffs at the airport to guide you.

TUFS is so far from the airport that we do not recommend to use taxi from the airport.

Can I live with my friend or partner?

No. If you would like to live with your friend or partner, please look for the accommodation by yourself. However, you may be able to live in the dormitory with your family (wife/husband, children) if there is an available room for married couples or for families

How is the monthly fee for a room in the dormitory paid?

Rent is automatically debited from residents’ bank accounts each month. We are not able to proceed the procedure for rent withdrawal unless you bring your bank card to the office of the Student Exchange Division. If we cannot withdraw the rent from your bank account, we require you to pay the unpaid rent later on in one payment. Students also have to pay for utilities such as electricity, water and so on.Details are as follows.

  • Building No.1 and No.2
    The boarding fee and miscellaneous expenses will be paid automatically from your bank account on 5th of every month.
    (If 5th is Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays, the payment day is a next weekday.)
    You will need to register your bank account for the automatic deduction at the TUFS Student Exchange Division counter as soon as both bank book and cash card are delivered to you.
    As the bank account registration will not be completed by the scheduled withdrawal day the bill will be added to the next payment,
    Also, if there is not enough money in your account, the bill will be added to the next payment.
  • Building No.3
    The boarding fee and miscellaneous expenses will be paid automatically from your bank account on 27th of every month.
    (If 27th is Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays, the payment day is a next weekday.)
    You will need to register your bank account for the automatic deduction at the manager office in Building 3 as soon as both bank book and cash card are delivered to you.
    Please pay the fees for first few months in cash at a convenience store or bank, since your bank account is not prepared for those payments. The bills will be delivered into your mail box.

    Also, you must pay individual electricity and water charges every month.

Can I choose which dormitory to live in?

No. We will assign you a room. Therefore, please make sure to prepare sufficient money for rent (Maximum 46,000 JPY / month).

What kind of furnishings are in the dormitory room?

Each room comes furnished with a single bed, desk with drawers, chair, bookshelves, shelves for food, hanging clothes, and storing shoes, a small kitchen area with stove, refrigerator, and sink, telephone connection, waste basket, several lighting fixtures and a desk lamp, an air filter, and an air conditioner/heater. Family rooms come with several other pieces of furniture.
Please refer to following URL for detail:
More furniture is provided in for married and family rooms.
All residents are mandatory to buy a Bedding Set which is provided by TUFS (¥12,000) after they arrive at the dormitory.
Kitchenware or Tableware should be provided by yourselves. (Dormitory No.1,2 are provided with an Electromagnetic cooker. Dormitory No.3 is provided with IH cooker.)

Is there an active internet connection in each room?

Yes, each room has an active internet connection for free. You must supply your own computer and ethernet cable to use the connection.
Also, there is Wifi connection in each room.

Is there a telephone in each room?

There is a telephone jack in each room, but no active connection. Most students opt to purchase a mobile phone and contract rather than activate the in-room telephone connection.

Can my friends or family visit my room?

No. You can only invite visitors to the common area in your dormitory.

Is there a cafeteria or food store in the dorm?

No, you need to eat either outside at the on-campus cafeterias or off-campus restaurants, or cook for yourself. Dormitory rooms have private refrigerators and kitchens, and there is a large shared kitchen on the first floor of the dormitory as well.

Do rooms come with private toilets and baths?

Each room comes equipped with a private toilet, but only one of the dormitories has private, unit baths. Our second dormitory building has shared shower rooms on each floor (separate for males and females).

Is there a curfew for residents of TUFS International Residences?

There is no curfew for when students can leave or return to the dormitories. However, all residents are asked not to make excessive amounts of noise, especially between 10PM to 7AM, so as not to disturb other residents.

What should I do when I want to leave International Residence?

Please submit below “NOTICE OF WITHDRAWAL” to the Student Exchange Division by one month before the date of leaving.
If you want to know more details, please also check “PREPARING TO MOVE OUT”

Can international students join the National Health Insurance System?

It is obligatory to join the National Health Insurance for everyone lives in Japan. You can apply for this when you go to the city hall for resident registration.
Moreover, we require you to register for both personal accident insurance and insurance for indemnity liability.

Are students allowed to work part-time?

As an international students studying in Japan under a College Student Visa, you are allowed to work part-time, given that you first obtain a Work Permit as you arrive at the airport (either Narita or Haneda airport). We strongly recommend you to apply for the Work Permission at the airports since it takes time if you do the process at the Tokyo immigration office.

Can you find me a part time job?

No. Please look for it by yourself. We, however, may ask you to do a university-offered job such as translation.


I would like to send some packages,including my own belongings, before my arrival date. May I have the TUFS address?

Students, unfortunately, cannot send packages before their date of arrival. We have no space to keep them and cannot assure the safety and integrity of the contents.

How much money should I bring when arriving?

It depends on the student, but we recommend bringing about 80,000 yen in cash. Students have to cover their living expenses, for example, rent, utility fees, food expenses and so on.

Will I be able to stay in Japan until the expiration date of my residence card even after the end of my program?

No, you will not. You should leave Japan immediately after completing the program. In addition, you will not be able to work part-time after completing the program.

Contact Us

3-11-1, Asahi-cho, Fuchu-shi, Tokyo 183-8534, Japan
Tel:+81-42-330-5185 Fax:+81-42-330-5189