Application Procedures for Exchange Programs
1. Program Information
Tokyo University of Foreign Studies has International Student Exchange Program of Tokyo University of Foreign Studies: ISEPTUFS.
The ISEPTUFS program is a semester or a one-year short-term exchange program designed for international students, as well as Japanese students. The program provides students with the opportunity to study in Japan and helps them to acquire a firm understanding of Japan and the international community. Meanwhile, the program aims to promote meaningful cultural exchange and to contribute to the cultivation of outstanding professionals with international backgrounds.
Please visit the web link below for more detailed information about the programs:
2. Application Procedure
You must be nominated as an exchange student by your home institution.
- Ensure you meet TUFS’s English or Japanese language requirements
- 2. Complete the online applications for the exchange program and COE (Certificate of Eligibility)
- Your home university must send us the application documents
via email or post
inbound[at]tufs.ac.jp (Please change [at] to @.)
[Post]*We don't accept the documents sent by the students.
To: Student Exchange Division
Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
3-11-1, Asahi-Cho, Fuchu-shi, 183-8534 Japan
*From Spring 2023 entry, we accept the application documents either by email or by post.
Deadline for April Entry ： November 15th(previous year)
Deadline for October Entry ： March 15th
Spring Semester (April) Entry
|Late September(previous year)||Start accepting the applications. TUFS will send the guidelines for applicants to our partner universities.|
|November 15th(previous year)||Deadline for applications|
|January - February||TUFS meeting. The official decision on ISEP-TUFS acceptance will be made around mid-February.|
|Late February||Screening meeting for JASSO scholarship program. TUFS will nominate the selected students for JASSO.|
|Mid March||JASSO will announce the successful applicants to TUFS.|
|Late February- Early March||TUFS will receive the visa documents (Certificate of Eligibility) from Tokyo Immigration Bureau.|
|Early March||TUFS will send the Acceptance Letter and the visa documents (Certificate of Eligibility) to our partner universities.|
|March||The exchange students will apply for a visa and arrange airplane tickets after receiving the documents noted above. In addition,they will give the arrival information to TUFS.|
|Early April||Arrival in Japan (TUFS will inform the exchange students of the scheduled arrival dates)|
Fall Semester (October) Entry
|Middle January||Start accepting the applications. TUFS will send the guidelines for applicants to our partner universities.|
|March 15th||Deadline for applications|
|May - June||TUFS meeting. The official decision on ISEP-TUFS acceptance will be made around mid-June.|
|Late May||Screening meeting for JASSO scholarship program. TUFS will nominate the selected students for JASSO.|
|Early July||JASSO will announce the successful applicants to TUFS.|
|Late July - Mid August||TUFS will receive the visa documents (Certificate of Eligibility) from Tokyo Immigration Bureau.|
|Mid August - Late August||TUFS will send the Acceptance Letter and the visa documents (Certificate of Eligibility) to our partner universities.|
|September||The exchange students will apply for a visa and arrange airplane tickets after receiving the documents noted above. In addition,they will give the arrival information to TUFS.|
|End of September||Arrival in Japan (TUFS will inform the exchange students of the scheduled arrival dates)|
4. Necessary Documents
Please complete Step 1 and Step 2 by the deadline.
Step 1 Application for the exchange program (ISEPTUFS)
- Web Application: Form mailer
Documents need to be sent via email or post
All the documents should be written in English or Japanese.
Please use the latest format by downloading from the below.
- Application form (Fill in the same information you submitted through the form mailer.)
- Study Plan
- Certificate of Health
- Essay for the JASSO Scholarship (the JASSO scholarship applicants only)
- Latest official academic record at home university written in English or Japanese
- A copy of Passport
- ID photograph (JPG) or 3 extra photographs (Write your name and nationality on the back side) in case of posting
- ISEPTUFS CHECKLIST
Step 2 Application for Certificate of Eligibility
Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) is an essential document for visa application. Applicants are requested to enter your required information through the CoE Web Application System. Please enter the information by an applicant so that there are no wrong information.
- Web Application: CoE Web Application System*Please refer to the manual (how to apply for CoE online) sent by TUFS.
5. Necessary language requirements
Since students take classes conducted in English or Japanese, they need to have the appropriate English or Japanese ability. It isn't necessary to submit an exam score report as long as their language ability meets the necessary language requirements.
English: CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) B2
Japanese: N2 (N1 preferred) of Japanese Language Proficiency Test.
6. About scholarships
The Ministry of Education of Japan supports the Japan Students Service Organization (JASSO) Scholarship, which international exchange students coming to TUFS receive each year. Students applying to either of our exchange programs are therefore asked to submit an Essay for the JASSO Scholarship Program with their Application to TUFS. Basic information regarding the program is provided below. The chances of being chosen as the recipient of JASSO scholarship are very low.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Not currently hold Japanese citizenship.
- Be enrolled in a regular degree program at a university that has concluded an Academic Exchange Agreement with TUFS.
- Eligible for exchange study under the rules of their home university's exchange program.
- Be in good academic standing and possess good character.
- Be motivated, with a clear plan of study, and a likelihood to benefit from studying in Japan.
- Do not have the financial resources to study in Japan without the JASSO Scholarship.
- Agree to resume their studies at their home university upon completion of their period of study in Japan.
- Not be receiving any other public or private scholarships (more than 80,000yen per month) during their period of study in Japan.
When students are selected as a scholarship recipient, they must submit all required documents to TUFS when they finish their exchange program at TUFS.
Students need to send their transcript to TUFS when they transfer the credits obtained at TUFS to their home university after they finish the exchange program.
Presently we have three dormitories on campus of the university. However, the possibility exists that students can not receive accommodation at these dormitories because of an increasing number of international students. Those who cannot be accommodated on campus will need to find and live in alternative apartments off campus. The average rent off campus per month is around 60,000~70,000 Yen. Please understand this fact beforehand.
8. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
9. Contact Information
Student Exchange Division
Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
3-11-1 Asahi-cho, Fuchu-shi, Tokyo 183-8534, JAPAN
Email: inbound[at]tufs.ac.jp (Please change [at] to @.)