Personal Information Protection Policy
The Act on the Protection of Personal Information Held by Incorporated Agencies etc. (hereinafter referred to as “the Personal Information Protection Act”) applies to the National University Corporation Tokyo University of Foreign Studies (hereinafter referred to as “TUFS”).
The Personal Information Protection Act aims to protect an individual’s rights and interest by setting forth the rules for handling personal information while considering the usefulness of personal information, in light of the expanded utilization of personal information at Incorporated Agencies etc.
TUFS observes relevant laws and regulations on the protection of personal information, and develops its own rules and regulations on the protection of personal information and familiarize faculty members and administrative staff with these rules and regulations.
What is personal information?
Personal information means information that is relating to a living individual and can identify a specific individual by the descriptions it contains including a name or date of birth.
Personal information includes address or email-address of an individual and any kind of information of an individual’s physical structure, health, racial origin, sexual orientation, religion, political belief, property and so on as long as it is integrated with the name or other information. Information without the description of names etc., seemingly unable to identify an individual, may be included when an individual can be identified by checking with other information.
Proper Handling of Personal Information
For the purpose of handling personal information properly, TUFS administers its business operation in appropriate and smooth manner and endeavors to protect the rights and interests of individuals.
Acquisition and Possession of Personal Information
- TUFS acquires personal information in a legitimate and fair manner.
- TUFS possesses personal information only when it is necessary for the purpose of its business operation.
- TUFS specifies the objective of utilizing personal information to the possible extent, and does not possess personal information beyond the scope necessary to achieve such specified objective.
- TUFS does not acquire personal data that falls under “Special Categories of Personal Data” as stipulated by article 9 of the General Data Protection Regulation (hereinafter referred to as ”GDPR”) of the European Union. Examples of such data include data revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, data concerning health, data concerning a person’s sexual orientation.
This does not apply, however, in cases as stipulated by Paragraph 2 of Article 9 of GDPR, or in cases as stipulated by the provisions of Japanese applicable laws and regulations.
Indication of a Utilization Purpose
- When acquiring personal information in writing directly from the person in question, TUFS indicates the utilization purpose in advance.
- However, TUFS may not indicate the utilization purpose when it can be clearly recognized, in view of the circumstances of the acquisition.
Utilization of Personal Information
- TUFS does not, in principle, utilize personal information for purposes other than that is indicated at the time of acquisition except for cases as stipulated by the provisions of Japanese laws and regulations.
- TUFS does not provide the personal information to the third party unless there is prior consent of the principal except for cases specified by the provisions of Japanese laws and regulations.
TUFS takes necessary measures for the appropriate management of the personal information including preventing the leakage, loss and damage of the personal information it possesses.
Utilization of Google Analytics Service
TUFS utilizes Google Analytics, a web analytics service, in order to grasp the statistical state of the browsing of TUFS’s webpage (http://www.tufs.ac.jp/), and contribute to the future organizational management or the improvement of the webpage. Please visit Google’s webpage (https://marketingplatform.google.com/about/analytics/) for the details of how privacy data is handled in Google Analytics.
TUFS’s webpage (http://www.tufs.ac.jp/) acquires anonymous traffic data by sending a cookie, through the WEB browser, to the computer which accessed the webpage, in order to grasp and analyze the statistical state of the access and to provide more user-friendly and useful web service. The webpage does not acquire information that can identify individuals.