Visa Procedures

Extending your "Period of Stay"

  • It is your responsibility to always keep your “resident card” with you, and also to check your “Period of Stay”.
  • If you need to extend your “Period of Stay”, you must go to the immigration office for the extension of your visa. You can apply starting 3 months prior to your visa’s expiration date.

Necessary preparation / documents for those whose “Status of Residence” is “Professor”

  1. Application for the extension of period of stay
  2. Certificate of employment issued by TUFS
  3. Document to prove your annual income, or the receipt of your resident tax
  4. Passport
  5. Certificate of Alien Registration or Resident card
  6. 4000JPY for handling charge
  7. Certificate of payment of fee
    * You may be requested to bring other documents if necessary.
  8. Picture of yourself

Place to apply

Tachikawa Branch

3-31-2 Kita, Kunitachi-city, Tokyo 186-0001 立川法務総合庁舎 (Tachikawa-Houmu-Sogo-Chosya Building)
TEL: 042-528-7719
Opening hours: 9:00-16:00 Mon-Fri (Closed on Sat, Sun and National Holidays)

Immigration Office of Tokyo

5-5-30 Konan, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8255
TEL: 03-5796-7111
Opening Hours: 9:00-16:00 Mon-Fri (Closed on Sat, Sun and National Holidays)