Short Stay Program Frequently Asked Questions
TUITION & FEES
- What does the tuition fee include and not include?
It includes the costs required for the following:
- 1. Tuition (includes non-optional excursion(s); and non-optional extracurricular activities except cost of meals)
- Textbooks and/or class materials
- Program application fee and accommodation placement fee
It does not include costs required for your flights, visa application, medical insurance, and living expenses (meals, transportation, shopping, etc.).
CANCELLATION & REFUND POLICIES
- If I want to withdraw from this program, can I get a refund?
Please refer to "Withdrawal & Cancellation Policies" on Short Stay Program web page for details.
- Can I get information about the residence I will stay at?
Your accommodation will be prepared by TUFS. Due to the limited capacity in TUFS International Residence (on-campus dormitory), there is no guarantee that your accommodation will be on campus. We advise that you apply early as the on-campus dormitory rooms will be allocated based on a first-come-first-served basis. Beside the on-campus dormitory, rooms at near-campus dormitories or hotels may be allocated.
We try our best to meet the special needs of those who informed us about their disabilities, etc. on their application form.
- Are the rooms single or shared?
All rooms are single rooms.
- Can I use the internet or Wi-Fi in my residence?
At TUFS International Residence (on-campus dormitory), each room is wired with internet connection (LAN) and the shared area has Wi-Fi connection. You will need to bring your own computer and cable to access to the internet in your own room.
- Is there a cooking facility in my residence?
Not in all cases. On-campus dormitory rooms have private refrigerators and small kitchens. Your own cookware is needed if you plan to use the kitchen in your room.
- Is there a laundry facility equipped in my residence?
There will be a coin laundry room at every residence.
- Do I have to prepare bedding or towels for my dormitory?
You do not need to prepare a blanket, pillow, or linen on your own. You will receive a bedding set. However, towels are not provided.
- Can I stay an extra day at my residence?
- What facilities on campus can I get access to?
You will be issued a TUFS student ID card when you arrive at TUFS. You can access to the library, gym, cafeteria, health care center, etc. as a TUFS student during the period of your Short Stay Program.
- Any useful items I can prepare for my stay in Japan?
If you are inclined to use the gym on campus, you will need indoor runners. If your program includes a trip outside of Tokyo, it may be a good idea to bring thicker outfits.
- Where can I buy a SIM card in Japan?
All foreigners must have an alien registration to purchase a voice SIM that most SIMs capable of voice calls are not available to you. Data-only SIM cards can be easily purchased on providers' web sites, at airport counters or major electronics retailers. The prices vary depending on the providers, but for a 30-days use, it is around \3,000 for 2 GB, \5,000 for 3 GB, and \7,000 for 5 GB.
- Where can I rent a Wi-Fi router?
There are many agencies providing mobile device (Wi-Fi router or hotspot) rental service. Mobile routers can be picked up at airport counters or arrangements can be made for delivery to your accommodation in Japan. The prices vary depending on the device type and providers, from about \7,000 to \9,000 for a 30-days use.
- What is the average cost of living in Tokyo?
About 80,000 yen to 100,000 yen per month
- Do I need a visa?
It is your responsibility to confirm with your nearest Japanese Embassy or Consulate-General whether you require a visa to enter Japan.
Please refer to the following webpages.
- I need a visa to enter Japan. What is the exact title of the visa I need to obtain to participate in TUFS Short Stay Program?
Visa for “Temporary Visit” - Short-Term Business Affairs, etc.
- What documents do I need to prepare to apply for the visa and how do I get documents TUFS provides for my visa application?
There are two types of documents required for your visa application: documents prepared by the applicant and documents prepared by TUFS. Depending on your nationality, required documents may differ. Please ensure which documents you will need to prepare by referring to the following link or consulting to Japanese Embassy or Consulates-General in your country.
Contact us if you require any document(s) from TUFS. TUFS will send you an envelope with necessary documents for your visa application approximately two months prior to the program starting date.
- Can I work during my stay in Japan?
No. Your short term stay must not include paid activities.
- Can I purchase insurance from TUFS?
No. You are required to have adequate medical insurance to enroll in Short Stay Program. We will ask you to fill out a questionnaire regarding your insurance and you must provide the information before you arrive in Japan. You should purchase one in your own country which will cover travels to and from Japan, doctoral visits and emergency situations during your stay in Japan.
- Will the travel insurance I get from my credit card company sufficient?
No. Most insurance plans offered by credit card companies at a low cost or free of charge do not cover injury, illness or loss incurred by students during their stay in Japan.
FLIGHT & AIRPORTS
- Is there a fixed arrival or departure dates and times?
The following is the accommodation schedule of all the residences we will prepare for the prospective students.
Check in: one day before the program starts (from 8:30 to 18:00)
Check out: the next day after the program ends (by 15:00)
For safety reasons, we strongly suggest that you arrive not too early in the morning or too late at night. If you arrive late at night, stay at a hotel near the airport. Then, on the next day, you can check into your residence prepared by TUFS.
- How and where do I go when I arrive at the airport in Japan?
We will contact each participant with the residence details and directions from both Haneda and Narita airports. In addition, on your check-in day (one day before the program starts), TUFS staff will be at both airports to guide you. They will assist you with directions and transportation routes (how to get to your residence, how to take the limousine bus or train, etc.).