1. Africa's economic growth and development
- Chitonge, H. (2015). Economic Growth and Development in Africa: Trends and Prospects . London/New York: Routledge.
- Chitonge, H. (2015). Beyond Parliament: Human Rights and the Politics of Social Change in Global South. Leiden/Boston: Nijhoff/Brill.
- Bond, P. H. Chitonge and A. Holfman(eds. 2006): The Accumulation of Capital in Southern Africa. Johannesburg: Rosa Luxemburg Foundation.
- Chitonge, H. (2016). "Zambia at 50: Persisting Challenges of Structural Transformation." Development Southern Africa, available at http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/0376835X.2016.1231053
- Chitonge, H. (2015). "The Matthew Effect of Growth in Africa: Rising Poverty and Inequality in the Midst of Sustained Growth in Zambia." African Journal of Social Sciences. Vol.5, No.3. 1-20. Available at http://www.sachajournals.com/documents/image/ajss2015horman002.pdf
- Chitonge, H. (2012). "Social Protection Challenges in Sub-Saharan Africa: Re-thinking Regimes and Commitments." African Studies, vol. 17, No.3. 1-23
- Chitonge, H. (2012). "Education and Development: An Integrated." Charles Lwanga Journal of Education, Vol.2, No.1. 41-70
- Chitonge, H. (2001). "Impact of Privatization on the Socio-economic rights in Zambia" (JCTR Quarterly Journal)
- Chitonge, H. (2000). "Sources of Law." Arrupe Journal of Philosophy, Vol.8, No.4
- Chitonge, H. (2014). "Social Safety Nets Re-Loaded: An Analysis of the Second Generation Safety Nets in Africa" in Social Welfare: Policies, Perspectives and Challenges, M. Presley ed.). New York: Nova Publishing Inc. 99-142
- Chitonge, H. (2010). "The State of KwaZulu-Natal Labour Market" in N. Nzimande (ed.) State of the Population of KwaZulu-Natal: Demographic Profile and Development Indicators. Pietermarisburg: KwaZulu-Natal Department for Social development. Chapter 5
- Chitonge, H. (2016) African Capitalism: the New and the Old Lyrics (RAOPE Round Table Briefing
- Chitonge, H. (2010). "Zambia's Development Agreements and the Soaring Copper Prices." Southern Africa Resource Watch, Resource Insight, Issue No.11.
- Chitonge, H. (2006). "The Role of Civil Society in New Development Approaches." Centre for Civil Society Discussion Paper No.18/06, University of KwaZulu-Natal available at http://ccs.ukzn.ac.za/files/Chitonge%20development%20rights.pdf 12.03.14
- Chitonge, H. (2014). Africa Emerges: Consummate Challenges, Abundant Opportunities by Robert Rotberg(2013). Cambridge: Polity Press, Review of African Political Economy.
- Chitonge H. (2017). Assessing Intersectoral Linkages in the Zambian Economy" The case of Agroprocessing. For the International Growth Centre(IGC), London School of Economics.
- Chitonge H. (2017). The Political Economy of Energy Policy in South Africa: From a Gender Agenda to a Class Project. For Energia, Netherlands
2. Land and agrarian political economy
- Chitonge, H. et al (2017). "Silent Privatization of Customary Land in Zambia: Emerging Dynamics in Chibombo and Chongwe Districts. Social Dynamics.
- Chitonge, H., O. Mfune, D. Kafwamba and G. Kajoba (2017). "Hybrid Land Markets: Monetarised Customary Land Transactions in Zambia." Canadian Journal of African Studies, Vol. 51, No.1. 123-143.
- Chitonge, H. (2015). "Customary Land in Zambia at Cross-Roads: Two Decades of Contested Land Reform." SADC Law Journal, Vol. 4, No. 1. 45-67.
- Chitonge, H.and Mfune. O (2015). The Urban Land Question in Africa: The Case of Urban Land Conflicts in the City of Lusaka, 100 Years after its Founding. Habitat International 48. 2009-218.
- Chitonge, H. (2014). "Land Reform and the Zero Hunger Programmes: Can South Africa Reap the Triple Dividend?" Journal of Poverty and Public Policy. Vol. 6, No.4. 380-406.
- Chitonge, H. (2013). "Land use and Rural Livelihood in South Africa: Emerging Evidence from the Eastern Cape". Agrarian South, Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 2, No.1. 1-42. Available at: http://ags.sagepub.com/content/2/1/1.full.pdf+htm
- Chitonge, H. & Ntsebeza, L. (2012). "Land Reform and Rural Livelihood in South Africa: Does Land Matter?" Review of Agrarian South, Vol. 2, No.2
- Chitonge, H. (2012). "Land Resource Ownership and Use in Africa of the Labour Reserves (SADC)" in B. Chigara (ed.) Problematising SADC Land Issues. London: Routledge. 57-88.
- Chitonge, H. (2012). "Southern African Development Community Land Issues: Towards a new Sustainable Land Relations Policy, Vols.1 &2" Book Review. SADC Law Journal, Vol. 2, No. 2. 335-339
- Chitonge H. (2013). Developmental Outcomes of Land Restitution Phase I: Eastern Cape Provincial Appraisal Report. Economic Performance and Development Department, Human Science (HSRC) for the Department of Rural Development and Land Reform
3. Water supply and resource management
- Chitonge, H. (2014). "Cities Beyond Networks: The Status of Water Services for the Urban Poor in African Cities". African Studies, Vol. 73, No.1. 58-83
- Chitonge, H. (2013). "Who will foot the Bill? Water Services Infrastructure Backlog in Sub-Saharan Africa" Journal of African Studies and Development, Vol. 5, No.3. 41-56. Available at: http://www.academicjournals.org/JASD/PDF/pdf2013/Jul/Chitonge.pdf
- Chitonge, H. (2011). "A Decade of Implementing Water Services Reforms in Zambia: Review of Outcomes, Challenges and Opportunities." Water Alternatives, Vol.4, No.3. 1-22
- Chitonge, H. (2010). "Who is Cross-subsidizing Whom? Water Supply Cross-subsidisation Policy, Practice and Lessons from Zambia." Journal of Modern African Studies 48(4) 599-624.
- Chitonge, H. (2012). "Water Services Reforms in Zambia2000-2010." UNESCO Global Water Forum, Discussion Paper No. 1203.