Short Stay Program Frequently Asked Questions


What does the tuition fee include and not include?

Program fee includes course fee and service fee. Accommodation, travel expenses, study materials fee, etc. are not included.


If I want to withdraw from this program, can I get a refund?

Please refer to "Withdrawal & Cancellation Policies" on Short Stay Program web page for details.


Does TUFS provide accommodation for the participants?

No, accommodation fee is not included in the program fee, and every program participant must source accommodation by oneself.
However, you may apply for our on-campus dormitory if there are vacancies. (There may not be any vacancies in the dormitory. Accommodation fee will be charged separately from the program fee.)
Availability of the rooms and how to apply will be announced to those who accepted to the program via email.
TUFS will provide information about hotels nearby and/or homestay options upon request.


Where can I buy a SIM card in Japan?

All foreigners must have an alien registration to purchase a voice SIM that most SIMs capable of voice calls are not available to you. Data-only SIM cards can be easily purchased on providers' web sites, at airport counters or major electronics retailers. The prices vary depending on the providers, but for a 30-days use, it is around \3,000 for 2 GB, \5,000 for 3 GB, and \7,000 for 5 GB.

Where can I rent a Wi-Fi router?

There are many agencies providing mobile device (Wi-Fi router or hotspot) rental service. Mobile routers can be picked up at airport counters or arrangements can be made for delivery to your accommodation in Japan. The prices vary depending on the device type and providers, from about \7,000 to \9,000 for a 30-days use.

What is the average cost of living in Tokyo?

About 80,000 yen to 100,000 yen per month


Do I need a visa?

It is your responsibility to confirm with your nearest Japanese Embassy or Consulate-General whether you require a visa to enter Japan.

Please refer to the following webpages.

I need a visa to enter Japan. What is the exact title of the visa I need to obtain to participate in TUFS Short Stay Program?

Visa for “Temporary Visit” - Short-Term Business Affairs, etc.

What documents do I need to prepare to apply for the visa and how do I get documents TUFS provides for my visa application?

There are two types of documents required for your visa application: documents prepared by the applicant and documents prepared by TUFS. Depending on your nationality, required documents may differ. Please ensure which documents you will need to prepare by referring to the following link or consulting to Japanese Embassy or Consulates-General in your country.

Contact us if you require any document(s) from TUFS. TUFS will send you an envelope with necessary documents for your visa application approximately two months prior to the program starting date.

Can I work during my stay in Japan?

No. Your short term stay must not include paid activities.


Can I purchase insurance from TUFS?

No. You are required to have adequate medical insurance to enroll in Short Stay Program. We will ask you to fill out a questionnaire regarding your insurance and you must provide the information before you arrive in Japan. You should purchase one in your own country which will cover travels to and from Japan, doctoral visits and emergency situations during your stay in Japan.

Will the travel insurance I get from my credit card company sufficient?

No. Most insurance plans offered by credit card companies at a low cost or free of charge do not cover injury, illness or loss incurred by students during their stay in Japan.


Is there a fixed arrival or departure dates and times?

No. However, for safety reasons, we strongly suggest that you arrive not too early in the morning or too late at night.

How and where do I go when I arrive at the airport in Japan?

We will contact each participant with the residence details and directions from both Haneda and Narita airports.