Global Linkage Initiative Program (GLIP)
Tokyo University of Foreign Studies (TUFS) offers the Global Linkage Initiative Program (GLIP) with the aim of training future academic and business professionals to become active participants in the global society.
GLIP is composed of two groups of subjects: GLIP English Courses and Lectures in English. Whereas GLIP English Courses enhance English language skills, Lectures in English offer students opportunities to learn about various fields of study in English. These are elective courses whose credits can be used to fulfill the requirements for graduation. In addition, GLIP is also designed to prepare students for study at universities abroad and to maintain their English proficiency after studying abroad.
GLIP courses are also offered as part of the students exchange program (ISEP-TUFS program), encouraging Japanese students to study with exchange students from all over the world.
GLIP English Courses
GLIP English Courses are designed to improve students’ practical ability in English. They are composed of Interactive English, Academic English, and Career English, which enable students to study English according to their levels and needs. They prepare students for studying abroad, enrolling in graduate school, or using English in business contexts.
In addition, integrated language skills classes are offered as Summer/Winter Intensive English (SIE/WIE) courses during the summer/winter quarter.
- Interactive English
- Small classes based on students’ proficiency
- “Production” classes to develop students’ speaking and writing skills and “Reception” classes to foster analytical and critical reading/listening skills
- Academic English
- Various elective courses to meet students’ goals and interests
- “Skill-based” classes to improve language skills for academic purposes and “Theme-based” classes to pave the way for students to take Lectures in English
- Career English
- Develops practical English skills for international business communication
- “Task-based” classes to deal with specific business-related tasks and “Project-based” classes to facilitate English skills through working on projects
- Intensive English
- Intensive English learning over three weeks
- Classes based on students’ proficiency
In addition to these regular courses, TUFS English Learning Center (ELC) supports and facilitates students’ autonomous English learning.
Lectures in English
In Lectures in English, students learn various academic topics in English.
Lectures in English are offered as “Liberal Arts Courses/Global Liberal Arts Subjects”, “Introductory Courses/Introductory Subjects”, “Survey Courses/Survey Subjects”, and “Major Courses/Elective Subjects” depending on the content difficulty. Lectures in English are offered in various topics which corresponds to the fields of study taught in School of Language and Culture, School of International and Area Studies, and School of Japan Studies.
For a complete list of GLIP subjects in English offered in AY 2019, please refer to the following link.