HOME > International Affairs > For TUFS International Students : FAQ


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

The following FAQ has been created to try to answer some of the questions that prospective international students commonly have.

Student Exchange Programs
Other Programs
Student Life and the TUFS International Residences

Page Top

Student Exchange Programs

QWhat is the difference between ISEPTUFS and the Special Auditing and Research Student Exchange Program?
AISEPTUFS is designed for international exchange students coming to TUFS under Academic Exchange Agreements as agreed upon by their home universities. The Program provides students with the opportunity to acquire a firm understanding of Japan and its place in the international community, through offering a variety of coursework in English as well as intensive Japanese language training. ISEPTUFS has a specified curriculum and credit requirements. The Special Auditing and Research Student Exchange Program, on the other hand, was established to allow international students, also from universities that have an Academic Exchange Agreement with TUFS, to spend time studying here without a predetermined curriculum or program of study. Special Auditing Students are permitted to take any courses offered in the University (provided that they meet the prerequisites for each course), and will receive credits for completed courses that can be transferred to their home universities. Special Research Students come to TUFS to carry out focused research on a specific theme, under the supervision of a professor at the university who specializes in that theme or a larger related field. While Special Research Students can attend any courses offered at the university, they do not receive credits for any coursework on their academic record.
QCan I apply to the TUFS Student Exchange Programs if my university has not concluded an Academic Exchange Agreement with TUFS?
ANo, you cannot enter either of our Student Exchange Programs if your home university has not concluded an Academic Exchange Agreement with TUFS. Also, we cannot consider proposals for Academic Exchange Agreements from students, but only from the Student Exchange or International Students Office at foreign universities.
QCan I apply for a different field or study than my department / major at my home university?
AAs the ISEPTUFS Program is designed to accept students from a diverse range of fields, you can apply to it even if the fields covered in it are different than those of your home department or major field of study. Applicants to the Special Auditing and Research Student Exchange Program should in general come to TUFS to extend their studies on a field or topic which they have already studied to a substantial extent. Overall, however, most exchange students that apply and come to TUFS do so through the ISEPTUFS Program.
QHow will my Japanese class level be decided?
AYou will be required to take a Japanese Language Placement Test (conducted in Japanese) in the first or second week of your studies at TUFS. Your Japanese class Level will be decided based on the results of this test. However, it will be possible for you to change your class level after discussing the issue with your advisers, if you feel that the level you are placed in is not appropriate for you.
QAre all credits that I complete at TUFS as an ISEPTUFS or Special Auditing Student transferable back to my home university?
AUnder our Academic Exchange Agreements, TUFS and its Partner Universities have agreed to honor credit transfers for credited completed courses at partnering universities. However, final decisions on specific issues related to credit transfers, such as the amount of academic level credits transferred is at the discretion of the home university.

Page Top

Other Programs

QHow can I get additional information regarding scholarship of the Japanese Government?
AFor Japanese Government sponsored programs, you should inquire at the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in your home country or on its website.
QDoes TUFS offer any programs for international students to solely study the Japanese language? Can I enroll at the Japanese Language Center without going through a Student Exchange or Other Non-Degree Program at TUFS?

There are no programs, similar to Preparatory Japanese Language Programs offered at other universities or private language schools, for studying the Japanese laguage at TUFS. If you would like more information on studying Japanese in Japan, please refer to the following websites

Page Top

Student Life and the TUFS International Residences

QWhat are the monthly living costs

Current average monthly living costs total to about \80,000 for students living in the TUFS International Residences. This breaks down as follows (estimates) -

Rent and Common Area Fees ¥21,000~¥46,000(for single room only)
Electricity Fees ¥4,000
Water Fees ¥1,500
Mobile Phone Fees ¥5,000
Health Insurance ¥1,000
Food ¥35,000
Books / Other School Supplies ¥5,000
Other Miscellaneous Expenses ¥8,000

Students who live in private apartments should expect to pay an additional \50,000-\80,000 per month for rent, and other moving-in costs (key money, deposit, etc.) and furnishing costs amounting to \200,000-\400,000. Student residing out of walking or bicycling range of the TUFS Campus also have to cover monthly commuting fees.

QWill I need to open a bank account in Japan?
AYou will need to open a bank account for paying your Rent for your room in the TUFS International Residences, as well as for receiving scholarship payments or any income from part-time jobs.
QAre students guaranteed a room in the on-campus dormitory? What are the application procedures?
AWe try to offer all Exchange Students a room in one of our on-campus TUFS International Residences. However, in the rare case when there are no open rooms to accommodate a student, we will arrange a room in another international students’ dormitory in the Tokyo area. International Students in other non-degree programs are also most often provided a room in one of our on-campus dormitories, but again, in rare cases when no space is available, they may have to reside in another international students’ dormitory in the Tokyo area or find a private apartment on their own.
QWhat is the monthly fee for a room in the dormitory and how is it paid?
AFees at the TUFS International Residences are generally very low compared to similar private housing, and depend on the type of room (single, couple, and family). Monthly Rent for a Single Room, including all Common Area Fees, is currently ¥21,000~¥46,000. Rent is automatically debited from residents’ bank accounts each month. Common Area Fees are paid at the Student Exchange Division Office each month. Students also have to pay for utility services such as electricity, water and so on. Students who maintain a telephone line in their room will also have to pay the requisite costs, but most international students opt for a mobile phone.
QWhat kind of furnishings come in the dormitory room?
AEach room comes furnished with a single bed, desk with drawers, chair, bookshelves, shelves for food, hanging clothes, and storing shoes, a small kitchen area with stove, refrigerator, and sink, telephone and internet (ethernet) connection, waste basket, several lighting fixtures and a desk lamp, an air filter, and an air conditioner/heater. Family rooms come with several other pieces of furniture.
QIs there an active internet connection in each room?
AYes, each room has an active internet connection. You must supply your own computer and ethernet cable to use the connection.
QIs there a telephone in each room?
AThere is a telephone jack in each room, but no active connection. Most students opt to purchase a mobile phone and contract rather than activate the in-room telephone connection.
QCan my friends or family visit me in the dormitory?
AYou can have visitors in the daytime, but no overnight guests are allowed in the dormitory.
QIs there a cafeteria or food store in the dorm?
ANo, you need to eat either outside at the on-campus cafeterias or off-campus restaurants, or cook for yourself. Dormitory rooms have private refrigerators and kitchens, and there is a large shared kitchen on the first floor of the dormitory as well.
QDo rooms come with private toilets and baths?
AEach room comes equipped with a private toilet, but only one of the dormitories has private, unit baths. Our second dormitory building has shared shower rooms on each floor (separate for males and females).
QIs there a curfew for residents of TUFS International Residences?
AThere is no curfew for when students can leave or return to the dormitories. However, all residents are asked to not make excessive amounts of noise, especially between 9PM to 7AM, so as to not disturb other residents.
QCan international students join the National Health Insurance System?
AInternational students are required to have some form of health insurance, and are eligible for and most often do join the National Health Insurance System. Please refer to the Immigration section of this website for more details.
QAre students allowed to work part-time?
AAs an international students studying in Japan under a College Student Visa, you are allowed to work part-time, given that you first obtain a Work Permit and that you do not work more hours than as stipulated. Please refer to the Immigration section of this website for more details.
Contact Us
3-11-1, Asahi-cho, Fuchu-shi, Tokyo 183-8534, Japan
Tel:+81-42-330-5185 Fax:+81-42-330-5189
Get Adobe Reader
Download Adobe Reader
to view, print and collaborate on PDF files.