【Message from TUFS President】Online Classes Extension (2020.4.7)
April 7, 2020
Today, in light of the continuing spread of the COVID-19 coronavirus, a state of emergency was declared for certain areas of Japan, including Tokyo. In response to this, the Tokyo University of Foreign Studies will extend its online classes period until the end of the spring quarter, July 17. During this period, we ask that all club and circle activities be suspended.
It is unfortunate that we cannot hold classes on campus, but the School of Language and Culture Studies, the School of International and Area Studies, the School of Japan Studies and the Graduate School of Global Studies are committed to providing the very best online education possible. I hope that you all spend this period productively.
If the current situation improves, we may allow general activities in the Research and Lecture Building and club/circle activities to resume. Please keep an eye on the TUFS website for updates.
From March to early April, TUFS ended all study abroad and gap year exchange programs, and close to 300 students returned to Japan. It hurts my heart to think of how disappointed you must all be. However, we are very grateful as a university for how calmly all of our students, including those of you in Japan, have acted during this time. We ask that you continue to contribute to ending this situation through your individual actions. These are difficult times, but I am praying for the health and wellbeing of our students and their families.
President, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
- If you have any questions, please refer here: Answers to Questions Asked in the Online Student Survey (Japanese only)
- 2020 Spring Quarter Contact Information
- Zoom Support and Assistance
- The IDs of the classes you have registered for will be sent through the GAKUMU Information System to your school email addresses. Please check your school email address (tufs.ac.jp) regularly.
- To support the implementation of online classes, many cellular companies are offering reduced fees. We advise students to check with their mobile carriers.
- If you are experiencing hardship amidst the sudden societal changes caused by COVID-19, please click here.