Current research projects:
- Khoisan phonological typology (JSPS KAKENHI #16H01925, 2016-2021)
- Linguistic documentation of selected Kalahari Khoe languages (JSPS KAKENHI #25300029, 2013-2018)
- The system of G|ui color terms (Mitsubishi Foundation, 2016-2017)
- Ethnolinguistic lexical documentation of the southwestern Kalahari Khoe languages (ILCAA Joint Research Project, 2016-2018)
Selected recent publications in English:
- Linguistic Features and Typologies in Languages Commonly Referred to as 'Khoisan', H. Ekkehard Wolff (ed.) The Cambridge Handbook of African Linguistics, 382-416, 2019
- Anthony Traill and the holistic approach to Kalahari Basin sound design, Africana Linguistica, 24巻, 45-73, 2018年
- Genetic structure and sex-biased gene flow in the history of southern African populations, American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 167巻3号, 656-671, 2018年
- ǂHaba lexical tonology, in Anne-Maria Fehn (ed.) Khoisan Languages and Linguistics, Rüdiger Köppe Verlag, pp. 108-119, 2017.
- The aspect system in G|ui: with special reference to postural features, African Study Monograph, 52, 119-134, 2016.
- Khoisan phonotactics: a case study from G|ui, Rainer Vossen & Wilfrid Haacke (eds.) Lone Tree, scholarship in the service of the Koon: Essays in memory of Anthony Traill, Rüdiger Köppe, 301-310, 2016.
- G|ui ideophones: work in progress, Asian and African Languages and Linguistics, 8, 99-121, 2014.
- Unraveling the complex maternal history of Southern African Khoisan populations, American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 153, 3, 435-448, 2013 (co-authored with C. Barbieri et al.).
- Phonetics and phonology: ||Gana subgroup, in Rainer Vossen (ed.) The Khoesan Languages, Routledge, 64-71, 2013.
- Syntax: ||Gana subgroup, in Rainer Vossen (ed.) The Khoesan Languages, Routledge, 394-401, 2013.
- Tonology: ||Gana subgroup, in Rainer Vossen (ed.) The Khoesan Languages, Routledge, 99-103, 2013.
- The genetic prehistory of southern Africa, Nature Communications (3: 1143), 2012 (co-authored with Joseph K. Pickrell et al.).
- The importance of TASTE verbs in some Khoe languages, Linguistics, 50, 2, 395-420, 2012.
- A first report on G|ui ideophones, in Christa. König, Osamu Hieda and Hirosi Nakagawa (eds.) Geographical Typology and Linguistic Area: With special reference to Africa (edited by), John Benjamins, 279-286, 2011.
- Click acquisition in G|ui, The 9th World Congress of African Linguistics, International Conference, WOCAL9 Steering Committee, Oral (general), Mohammed V University in Rabat, Morocco, 2018
- G|ui basic color terms, the 6th International Symposium of Khoisan Linguistics (Riezlern 6), Centre for African Language Diversity, University of Cape Town, Travellers Rest, Cederberg, South Africa, 2017.
- Tonal alternations involved in reduplication in G|ui, the 8th World Congress of African Linguistics, Kyoto University, 2015.
- The aspect system and posture verbs in G|ui, the 5th International Symposium on Khoisan Languages and Linguistics (Riezlern 5), Goethe Universität, Frankfurt am Mein, Riezlern/Kleinwalsertal, 2014.
- Khoisan sound systems in typological perspective, Phonetics and Phonology of Sub-Saharan Languages, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, 2013 (co-authored with Tom Güldemann).
- Genetic affiliations of ≠Haba and Tshila, the 20th International Conference of Historical Linguistics, Minpaku, Osaka, 2011.
- ≠Haba Tonology: a Preliminary Report, the 4th International Symposium on Khoisan Languages and Linguistics (Riezlern 4), Goethe Universität, Frankfurt am Mein, Riezlern/Kleinwalsertal, 2011.