Current research projects:
- Khoisan phonological typology (JSPS KAKENHI #16H01925, 2016-2021)
- Linguistic documentation of selected Kalahari Khoe languages (JSPS KAKENHI #25300029, 2013-2018)
- The system of G|ui color terms (Mitsubishi Foundation, 2016-2017)
- Ethnolinguistic lexical documentation of the southwestern Kalahari Khoe languages (ILCAA Joint Research Project, 2016-2018)
Selected recent publications in English:
- Linguistic Features and Typologies in Languages Commonly Referred to as 'Khoisan', The Cambridge Handbook of African Linguistics, 382-416, 2019
- Anthony Traill and the holistic approach to Kalahari Basin sound design, Africana Linguistica, 24巻, 45-73, 2018年
- Genetic structure and sex-biased gene flow in the history of southern African populations, American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 167巻3号, 656-671, 2018年
- ǂHaba lexical tonology, in Anne-Maria Fehn (ed.) Khoisan Languages and Linguistics, Rüdiger Köppe Verlag, pp. 108-119, 2017.
- The aspect system in G|ui: with special reference to postural features, African Study Monograph, 52, 119-134, 2016.
- Khoisan phonotactics: a case study from G|ui, Rainer Vossen & Wilfrid Haacke (eds.) Lone Tree, scholarship in the service of the Koon: Essays in memory of Anthony Traill, Rüdiger Köppe, 301-310, 2016.
- G|ui ideophones: work in progress, Asian and African Languages and Linguistics, 8, 99-121, 2014.
- Unraveling the complex maternal history of Southern African Khoisan populations, American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 153, 3, 435-448, 2013 (co-authored with C. Barbieri et al.).
- Phonetics and phonology: ||Gana subgroup, in Rainer Vossen (ed.) The Khoesan Languages, Routledge, 64-71, 2013.
- Syntax: ||Gana subgroup, in Rainer Vossen (ed.) The Khoesan Languages, Routledge, 394-401, 2013.
- Tonology: ||Gana subgroup, in Rainer Vossen (ed.) The Khoesan Languages, Routledge, 99-103, 2013.
- The genetic prehistory of southern Africa, Nature Communications (3: 1143), 2012 (co-authored with Joseph K. Pickrell et al.).
- The importance of TASTE verbs in some Khoe languages, Linguistics, 50, 2, 395-420, 2012.
- A first report on G|ui ideophones, in Christa. König, Osamu Hieda and Hirosi Nakagawa (eds.) Geographical Typology and Linguistic Area: With special reference to Africa (edited by), John Benjamins, 279-286, 2011.
- Khoisan phonological typology database and the relative frequencies of consonants in the Khoisan languages, 13th Conference of the Association for Linguistic Typology, International Conference, Association for Linguistic Typology, Oral Presentation (general), University of Pavia, Italy, 2019.
- History of tonal interaction across paradigms: new findings from Khoisan tonology, International Conference on Historical Linguistics (ICHL24), International Conference, Keynote Speech, 2019.
- Click acquisition in G|ui, The 9th World Congress of African Linguistics, International Conference, WOCAL9 Steering Committee, Oral (general), Mohammed V University in Rabat, Morocco, 2018
- G|ui basic color terms, the 6th International Symposium of Khoisan Linguistics (Riezlern 6), Centre for African Language Diversity, University of Cape Town, Travellers Rest, Cederberg, South Africa, 2017.
- Tonal alternations involved in reduplication in G|ui, the 8th World Congress of African Linguistics, Kyoto University, 2015.
- The aspect system and posture verbs in G|ui, the 5th International Symposium on Khoisan Languages and Linguistics (Riezlern 5), Goethe Universität, Frankfurt am Mein, Riezlern/Kleinwalsertal, 2014.
- Khoisan sound systems in typological perspective, Phonetics and Phonology of Sub-Saharan Languages, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, 2013 (co-authored with Tom Güldemann).
- Genetic affiliations of ≠Haba and Tshila, the 20th International Conference of Historical Linguistics, Minpaku, Osaka, 2011.
- ≠Haba Tonology: a Preliminary Report, the 4th International Symposium on Khoisan Languages and Linguistics (Riezlern 4), Goethe Universität, Frankfurt am Mein, Riezlern/Kleinwalsertal, 2011.