Graduate School of Global Studies, Tokyo University of Foreign Languages
Double-Degree Master’s Program "History in the Public Sphere (HIPS)"




Can I apply to both CEU and TUFS for the program?

No. If you are not a student of TUFS Master’s Programs of the Graduate School of Global Studies, please apply to CEU. For application guidelines for CEU, please refer to the following link.



What courses are available to HIPS students at TUFS?

Please find the list of Mandatory and Mandatory Elective courses offered in AY 2020/2021.
Otherwise, TUFS offers quite a number of elective courses and Japanese Language classes.

Can I take courses offered by Japanese Language?

Probably. First, you should consult your supervisor to verify whether the courses are adequate for the HIPS’ theme.

Can I attend advanced or Intermediate Japanese classes (B1, B2, C1 level)?

Yes. However, you can attend the classes only as an audit without credits, because they are provided as preparatory courses for undergraduate exchange students.

How do I find a supervisor?

The list of professors is available on the Web site. You can find out who you are interested in.
Otherwise, you can consult with the coordinator of the HIPS program at TUFS.

Can I access the services of the TUFS library during my stay in Europe?

You will obtain an account after the enrollment process. It allows you to access the university library’s online database as well as the TUFS Education Information System.

Are there any breaks during my stay in Japan?

There is a spring break that is a few weeks long, from the last week of March to the first or second week of April, and a Golden Week break at the beginning of May that lasts about five to seven days (depending on the calendar).


University Dormitory

Is there a dormitory for international students?

Yes. There are three international residence halls on campus and most of the international students reside in one of them. For more details about dormitories, please refer to the following link.

Can I choose which dormitory to live in?

No. We will assign you a room. HIPS students will usually be living in International Residence Hall No.3.  Please see the leaflet of Residence Hall No.3 (PDF file) listed below.

International Residence Hall No.3

Are HIPS students guaranteed a room in the dormitory?

Only the scholarship holders are guaranteed a room. However, we try to offer all HIPS students a room in one of our dormitories.

How much is the rent? Do I need to pay for utility bills?

The monthly rent is 46,000 yen. Students also have to pay for utility services such as electricity and water.

Do rooms come with private toilets and baths?

Each room has its own private bathroom with toilet.

Do rooms come with furniture and appliances?

Each room has following fixtures and fittings.

Fixtures: modular bath (bath, toilet, washstand), kitchen, air-conditioner, ventilating fan, lights, intercom, internet terminal, TV terminal
Fittings: desk, chair, refrigerator, desk lamp, curtain, clothes pole, flashlight

Are there any apartments rented by the university?

Any private apartments are not rented by the university, so you will need to look for those by yourself. If requested, we can help you find a room.

Are there any apartments close to the university and what is the approximate rent?

There are some apartments close to the university. For more information, see “Housing information for International Students” in the following link.
The average rent for furnished apartments in this area is between 60,000 yen and 80,000 yen.



Is it compulsory to join the national health insurance program in Japan?

Foreign residents who will be staying in Japan for three months or more have to subscribe to the National Health Insurance program. You need to pay a small insurance fee (about 1,100 yen per month). Instead, when receiving treatment for injuries or illnesses, your out-of-pocket cost is only 30% of the total medical bill. Also, the upper limit of medical expenses to be borne per month is 35,400 yen.

Is it necessary for international students to have accident insurance and liability insurance?

If you are on Erasmus Scholarship, there is no need for new insurance as your insurance prepared by the Consortium applies in Japan too.
If you are a privately-financed student, TUFS requests you to join two types of students’ insurance, Personal Accident Insurance for Student Pursuing Education and Research “GAKKENSAI” which covers the injury of on-campus activities and Comprehensive Insurance for Student Lives Coupled with “GAKKENSAI” for International Students which covers the indemnity liability expenses, rescuer expenses including transportation and more. Insurance premium for “GAKKENSAI” is 650 yen (less than one year stay). Premium for Comprehensive Insurance for Student Lives Coupled with “GAKKENSAI” varies depending on the insurance period and coverage. For more information, please see the PDF files listed below.
If you are not on scholarship and have other insurance coverage, please consult the HIPS Office.


Enrollment and Visa procedure

When do I enroll in TUFS?

Enrollment must be completed by the end of September. The HIPS office at TUFS will contact you in August with details of the admission procedure.

Can I complete the enrollment process online?

You will be asked to submit the necessary documents for the procedure online, but only the student pledge needs to be sent by post.

When do I apply for a visa?

We will send you the necessary documents for your visa application (acceptance letter and the Certificate of Eligibility) in December. Please apply after receiving them. The HIPS office will contact you in October to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility.

Do I need to apply for a visa for Japan in my home country?

No. You can apply at the Japanese embassy in the country where you are staying.

When should I book a flight to Japan?

To avoid any trouble, please book your airline ticket only after obtaining a visa.
to top - トップに戻る