Application Procedures for Exchange Programs
1. Program Information
Tokyo University of Foreign Studies has International Student Exchange Program of Tokyo University of Foreign Studies: ISEPTUFS.
The ISEPTUFS program is a semester or a one-year short-term exchange program designed for international students. The program provides students with the opportunity to study in Japan and helps them to acquire a firm understanding of Japan and the international community. Meanwhile, the program aims to promote meaningful cultural exchange and to contribute to the cultivation of outstanding professionals with international backgrounds.
Please visit the web link below for more detailed information about the programs:
2. Application Procedure
You must be nominated as an exchange student by your home institution.
- Ensure you meet TUFS’s English or Japanese language requirements
- Complete the online applications for the exchange program and COE (Certificate of Eligibility)
- Your home university must send us the application documents
via designated online form
*We don't accept the documents submitted by the students.
Deadline for April Entry ： November 15th(previous year)
Deadline for October Entry ： March 15th
*Late, ineligible or incomplete application will not be processed.
3. Necessary Documents
Please complete Step 1 and Step 2 by the deadline.
Step 1 Application for the exchange program (ISEPTUFS)
- Applicants’ Application: Form mailer
Documents need to be submitted by the coordinator at home university via designated online form.
Coordinator’s online submission: Form mailer
Combine the following documents into one PDF file per one applicant when submitting online .
All the documents should be written in English or Japanese.
Please use the latest format by downloading from the below.
- ISEPTUFS CHECKLIST
- Participation Agreement (Signed by the nominated student and the coordinator)
- Study Plan
- Certificate of Health
- Application Form for the JASSO Scholarship (the JASSO scholarship applicants only)
- Latest official academic record at home university written in English or Japanese
- Certificate of Japanese/English language proficiency
Consent Form about Disclosure of Personal Information
- A copy of Passport
Step 2 Application for Certificate of Eligibility
Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) is an essential document for visa application. Applicants are requested to enter your required information through the CoE Web Application System. Please enter the information by an applicant so that there is no wrong information.
- Web Application: CoE Web Application System*Please refer to the manuals sent by TUFS.
4. Language requirements
Since students take classes conducted in English or Japanese, they need to have the appropriate English or Japanese ability.
English: CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) B2
Japanese: N2 of Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT)
5. About scholarships
The Ministry of Education of Japan supports the Japan Students Service Organization (JASSO) Scholarship, which international exchange students coming to TUFS receive each year. Basic information regarding the scholarship program is provided below. Please note that the chances of being chosen as the recipient of JASSO scholarship are very low.
- Students from all countries that have diplomatic relations with Japan.（Students from Taiwan and Palestine are acceptable.）
- Students accepted by Japanese school under a student exchange agreement or other student exchange arrangement with their home school.
- Students not having the financial means to study in Japan.
- Students eligible for "Student Visa". （For study in Japan for 90 days or less, Japanese school will arrange the status of residence.）
- Students, upon termination of the period of study in Japan, will complete their studies at their home school.
- Students demonstrating excellent academic and personal records at their home school.
- Students receiving more than 80,000 JPY per month in total from other scholarships for study in Japan are ineligible for this scholarship.
When students are selected as a scholarship recipient, they must submit all required documents to TUFS during their exchange program and when they finish their program at TUFS.
Students must send their transcript to TUFS when they transfer the credits obtained at TUFS to their home university after they finish the exchange program. If there are incomplete or missing procedures or documents, students may be required to return the money to JASSO.
Presently we have three dormitories on campus of the university. However, the possibility exists that students cannot receive accommodation at these dormitories because of an increasing number of international students. Those who cannot be accommodated on campus will need to find and live in alternative apartments off campus. The average rent off campus per month is around 60,000~70,000 JPY. Please understand this fact beforehand.
8. Contact Information
Student Exchange Division
Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
3-11-1 Asahi-cho, Fuchu-shi, Tokyo 183-8534, JAPAN
Email: inbound[at]tufs.ac.jp (Please change [at] to @.)