Union of Four Universities in Tokyo Signs Memorandum of Understanding on Consortium for Post COVID-19 Society
February 1, 2021
On Friday, January 8, 2021, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo Institute of Technology, and Hitotsubashi University concluded a "Memorandum of Understanding on the Union of Four Universities in Tokyo Consortium for a Post COVID-19 Society," based on the goals set forth in the Charter of the Union of Four Universities (concluded on March 15, 2001).
This consortium will not only promote cooperation in education, but also in research on COVID-19 countermeasures and a post COVID-19 society, taking advantage of and integrating the research strengths of each of the four universities.
Outline of the "MOU on the Union of Four Universities in Tokyo Consortium for a Post COVID-19 Society"
Objective: To strengthen interdisciplinary efforts within the Union of Four Universities in Tokyo, to promote research on COVID-19 and a post COVID-19 society, to make policy recommendations on effective countermeasures, and to further promote substantive research and educational collaboration within the Union of Four Universities.
(1) To promote research on COVID-19 and a post COVID-19 society by creating a website and a virtual digital salon where such discussions can be held freely.
(2) To promote interdisciplinary research that transcends university frameworks through regular symposia, web conferences, etc.
(3) To apply for competitive research and educational research funds in cooperation to promote research and education on COVID-19 and a post COVID-19 society.
(4) To promote research and education through inter-university cooperation using financial resources contributed by each university.
(5) To actively make policy proposals to the government on the research results obtained through cooperation.
(6) To actively encourage the participation of interested faculty members and students.
(7) To reflect the results of the COVID-19 countermeasures in the educational cooperation among the four universities.
(8) Other initiatives that will contribute to the realization of this project.
To commemorate the establishment of this consortium, the first symposium of the Union of Four Universities in Tokyo Consortium for a Post COVID-19 Society will be held on Friday, February 12. For more details, please see here.