“Diversity Seminar & Female Researcher Lecture Series” Held
October 19, 2018
On Friday 5th of October, the “Diversity Seminar & Female Researcher Lecture Series” was held in the Sky Room on the 13th floor of Nakano Sun Plaza (Nakano City, Tokyo). This event aimed to promote women’s research activities and to present the results of research conducted by female researchers to businesses, with the overall goal of creating sustainable innovations through industry-academic collaboration.
Representing TUFS, Specially-Appointed Researcher Hitomi Kirikoshi, presented on the topic of
“The Historical Commercial Network of West Africa and its Modern Distribution System”.
Organizer：Greater Tokyo Initiative Co-Sponsor：Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology
For this seminar, a presentation was given by the Soken Medical Corporation Managing Director, Ms. Hiromi Ishiwatari, on “The 18-Person Company that Changed the World of Top Athletes: Work Ethic & the Merits of Industry-Academic Collaboration”.
■“Female Researcher Lecture Series”
Organizer：Greater Tokyo Initiative
Co-Sponsor：Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences
For this lecture series, seven presentations were given by various speakers. The titles for these presentations are as follows.
- Saitama University: Associate Professor Yuki Shimizu, “The Influence of Culture on Child Development”
- The University of Electro-Communications: Research Fellow Kasumi Abe, “ChiCaRo, the Distance Childcare Support Robot that will Change Child-Rearing”
- Tokyo Metropolitan Industrial Technology Research Institute: Researcher Misato Akiyama, “Development of a Sandwich-Structure Wireless Power Transfer Antenna”
- Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology: Associate Professor Gentiane Venture x Surf Clean Ltd., “Monitoring the Health of Wheelchair-Users: From Research to Reality”
- Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences: Head Researcher Chikako Hirose, “Effective Use of Water Resources for Stable Rice Cultivation in Sub-Saharan Africa”
- Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology: Assistant Professor Haisong Nie, “Present State and Trends in China’s Silver Industry”
- Tokyo University of Foreign Studies: Specially-Appointed Researcher Hitomi Kirikoshi, “The Historical Commercial Network of West Africa and its Modern Distribution System”
As part of the 2016 Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, and Technology (MEXT) Funds for the Development of Human Resources in Science and Technology Project, 'Initiative for Realizing Diversity in the Research Environment,' TUFS was selected to work alongside the leading institution of this project, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, and is currently working towards creating a more comfortable environment for female researchers to work in.